Title: CHOCOLATE SCOTCH TRUFFLES
Categories: Candies, Christmas
Yield: 40 servings
1 1/2 lb Good-quality unsweetened chocolate
2 Egg yolks
1 c Confectioner's sugar
1/2 c Heavy or whipping cream
4 tb (1/2 stick) unsalted butter
1/4 c Scotch whiskey
30 Whole shelled hazelnuts
1 c Sifted unsweetened cocoa powder, for dusting
1. Preheat the oven to 375F.
2. Place 10 oz. of the chocolate in a heavy saucepan, and melt
over low heat. Remove the pan from the heat and set aside.
3. Combine the egg yolks and 1/2 cup of the confectioner's sugar
in a large bowl, and cream until well blended.
4. Combine the cream, butter, and remaining 1/2 c. sugar in a
medium-size saucepan and bring to a boil, stirring until the
butter and sugar are thoroughly melted.
5. Slowly pour the hot sugar mixture over the egg yolk mixture,
whisking constantly. Mix thoroughly and set aside to cool
slightly. Then stir in the melted chocolate and the Scotch; beat
for 1 minute.
6. Place the mixture in the refrigerator and chill until firm, 30
to 45 minutes.
7. Meanwhile, place the hazelnuts on a baking sheet and toast
them in the oven for 15 minutes. Remove them from the oven and
rub handfuls of nuts in a kitchen towel to remove the skins. Set
8. Roll a spoonful of the chilled chocolate around each hazelnut
to form a truffle about 1 inch in diameter. Set them on a baking
sheet lined with waxed paper, and chill thoroughly in the
refrigerator 2 to 3 hours.
9. Melt the remaining 14 oz. chocolate in a heavy saucepan over
low heat. Remove the pan from the heat.
10. Sprinkle a shallow dish generously with cocoa. Dip each
truffle in the melted chocolate, covering it completely. Then
lift it out with a fork and roll it in the cocoa. Arrange the
truffles on the baking sheet again, and chill before serving.
Source: "The New Basics Cookbook,"
Print recipe, search
recipes, browse recipes, or see today's
Send mail to PastryWiz
with comments about this web site.
Recipe Disclaimer - Measurements Help
- Sugar Substitution Chart
Chocolate - the food of the Gods
Step-by-step cake decorating