Cooking Tips to reduce the Fat - lowfat
The following cooking tips to reduce fat were contributed by Reba Thompson, Dietetic
Intern, University of Northern Colorado.
1. Use 2 egg whites or 1/4 cup egg substitute instead of one whole egg.
2. When baking, use fruit purees, applesauce, or plain non-fat yogurt instead of oil.
3. Use evaporated "skim" milk when recipes call for evaporated or canned milk.
4. Use fat-free cream cheese or blended fat-free cottage cheese instead of regular cream
5. Use de-fatted broth, fruit juice, wine, water, or cider to saute meats and vegetables
instead of oil or butter.
6. Make your own white sauce using 2 tbsp reduced-fat margarine, 2 tbsp. flour, and 1 cup
skim milk. Add fat-free cheese slices for a great cheese sauce.
7. Replace the meat in your chili or other casseroles with extra beans, tofu, or tempeh.
Experiment with different varieties of beans.
8. Use cream style corn instead of oil in your cornbread recipes.
9. Experiment with fat-free products as substitutes for the regular type products in your
recipes. Sometimes they
turn out even better!
10. If a recipe must have the fat to work, try using half the fat.
Print recipe, search
recipes, browse recipes, or see today's
Send mail to PastryWiz
with comments about this web site.
Recipe Disclaimer - Measurements Help
- Sugar Substitution Chart
Chocolate - the food of the Gods
Step-by-step cake decorating